Aubergine/eggplant or as we say in Farsi Bademjan بادمجا ن is used in the cuisines of many countries. Aubergine can be used as a meat substitute in vegan and vegetarian dishes too.
In Iranian cuisine, it is a staple, an affordable, and healthy ingredient in Iranian cuisine, like eggplant frittata (koko کوکو), stuffed eggplants, eggplant stew with beef/lamb or chicken, eggplant Caviar (blended eggplants with whey/kashk کشک), or vegetarian meals such as Mirza Ghasemi میرزا قاسمی or fried slices of eggplants with yogurt-garlic sauce, and yet eggplant can be cooked in numerous ways: barbecued, stewed, fried, steamed, curried.
I just understood that eggplant is technically a fruit not vegetable but many people consider it as a vegetable!! Eggplant flesh is smooth and it’s seeds are soft and edible.
My recipe for eggplant frittata is easy to make with amazing flavour. It can be served hot or cold and believe me or not, leftover frittata (koko) is double tasty.
How To Make Most Delicious Aubergine Frittata (Persian Koko Bademjan)
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup freshly chopped coriander leaves
- A handful tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp all purpose
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and red chilli powder to taste
- Wash and dry eggplant. Pierce each eggplant, a few times with a fork to vent.
- Then put them directly on the flame of stove top. Turn the flame to medium. Allow eggplants to roast over the flame for about 10-15minutes.
- Until eggplants charred and collapsing, and time to time turn eggplant over as it cooks.
- Then, remove eggplants from the heat and proceed to peeling grilled eggplants
- then chop them
- and Place them in a strainer or colander, for about 10 minutes, so the juice will drain off.
- Mix eggs, flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper and turmeric in a large bowl.
- Add chopped eggplants and herbs to the egg mixture and mix all ingredients until well combined.
- Heat some oil in a pan over medium low heat. Pour the eggplant mixture into the pan. Cover the pot with a lid and cook for about 20 minutes or until the surface cooked and is firm to touch.
- Then, put a round plate over the pan and invert the eggplant frittata onto the plate. Then, carefully slide the frittata into the pan from the plate and cook for another 10-15 minutes until golden brown. but this time do not cover the pan with a lid. Our koko is ready and serve it wit salad or yogurt or sour cream.