In my earlier posts, I have shared numbers of recipe for Gata bread. The following recipe is my latest post about how to bake a delicious Gata bread نان گاتا at home. Gata bread is one of the most famouse and delicious Armenian breads.
You can buy this delicious bread from bakeries and confesctionery stores قنادی in Tehran and other cities. They are very delicious and popular.
It is a sweet pastry, filled with different ingredients like walnuts, butter, spices, raisins and other ingredients…
There are many different types of Gata in Armenia. Gata can be baked in variety of sizes and shapes with differrent decorations. But at the end of the day, allllllllll are just DELICIOUS.
My Another Gata Bread
- 240 g plain flour + 2-3 tbsp just in case
- 70 ml lukewarm water
- 70 ml lukewarm milk
- 15 ml vegetable oil
- 1 egg white
- 10 g dried yeast
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
Ingredients for filling
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
Ingredients for egg wash
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp milk
- in a large bowl mix lukewarm water with lukewarm milk, egg white,vegetable oil, sugar, and yeast.
- Use a spoon and whisk all ingredients until well combined.
- Mix flour with salt and gradually add the flour to the milk mixture and mix together. Add 2-3 tbsp more flour if neededd.
- Then knead the dough with hand until you have a non-stick dough.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover it with a kitchen towel for an hour.But do not expect your dough be doubled in size afte an hour, as it willnot happening 😁😁
- Meanwhile, lets prepare the filling: cut unsalted butter into cubes. Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add flour and toast it for 7-8 minutes. Keep stirring until aroma of toasted flour released.
- Next, add sugar, spices and chopped walnuts. Cook it for 5 minutes.
- Keep stirring. Then remove from the heat and let cool down.
- After an hour, our dough is ready. Place the doung on a floured surface and sprinkle with flour as you see in the photo. Knead the dough for 1-2 minutes.
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper. Place the dough on the tray. Use your hand and flatten the dough as you see in the photo.
- Scatter the filling on the centre of dough
- and then fold the corners of dough and make a ball shape.
- Then flip it over and gently flatten the stuffed dough with your hand.
- Finally, brush the dough with egg yolk mixture. Use a fork and create a pattern on the dough. Bake it for 15-20 minutes.
- Voila our Gata bread is ready. Very nice treat for an afternoon gathering with a cuppa chai or coffee.