Today I am going introduce Persian pickled garlic whkich is called Torshi-e Seer ترشی سیر in Farsi.
Maybe you ask what is Torshi ترشی ? Very good question. Torshi are the pickled vegetables/ fruits in vinegar or salted water. The word torshi means : sour in Farsi language. Torshi or torsu In many languages like : Egypthian, Azerbaijani, Greek, Arabic, Bulgarian and Albaian is same.
Please click here for Pickled vegetables recipe: https://rozinaspersiankitchen.com/2017/11/19/pickled-vegetables/
In Iran making torshi at home still is a MUST and a tradition. Autumn پاییز is the best time of the year to make pickles. So with the beginning of Autumn, house wives in every city, town or village make torshi. Although, You can buy ready torshi from supermarkets to torshi shops too.
IN Iranian families, a meal is not complet without a bowl of torshi and Iranians believe torshi aids in digestion of heavy meals. please click here for pickled grapes: https://rozinaspersiankitchen.com/2017/10/18/pickled-grapes-torshi-angoor/
In Iran, there are a variation of hundres of different types of torshi from one region to another region. When you enter in a torshi shop. As I mentioned earlier, in torshi vinegar and salted water are preserving agents. Most common fruits and vegetables that are used in pickles are: grapes انگور, apples سیب, plums آلو, eggplantsبادمجان, bell peppers فلفل دلمه, tomatoes گوجه فرنگی, cucumbers خیار, garlic سیر, moosir موسیر (Iranian shallots), red- white cabbages کلم , celery کرفس, cauliflowers گل کلم. they are amazingly tasty, tangy, crunchy and MOUTH WATERING.
More exotic ingredients such as Tamarind concentrate can be used to add extra flavour.
The most popular torshi are:
– Torshi liteh ترشی لیته is made with eggplants , carrots aand herbs (parsley, coriander, mint, tarragon, basil)
– Torshi bandari ترشی بندری
– Torshi seer ترشی سیر or pickled garlic
please click here for zeytoon parvardeh or marinated olives: https://rozinaspersiankitchen.com/2018/12/08/marinated-olives-zeytoon-parvardeh/
Persian pickled garlic is well known as aged pickle for 7-10 and even 20 years old!!😃 it is awesome👌. I mean you can purchase 7-10-20 years old pickle garlic, from pickle stores , garlic pickle with a sweet-tart taste, dark brown to black cloure and very soft. Just YUM!
All Iranian families would be proud of having 7-8 years old pickled garlic.The older is better and the older it gets, the more health benefits it has.
For making 6-7 years old pickled garlic just in a month, we need to use balsamic vinegar. If you have ever seen or tried real 7-8 years old Persian pickled garlice, you would notice they are black and sweet.
Other trick 😎😁 for making this pickle, isusing of sweet pomegranate molasses or date vinegar to creat sweetness in our pickle. If you have no access to date vinegar or pomegranate molasses, simply use brown sugar or honey instead.
So if you like pickles, make this simple and super delicious Persina garli pickle and impress everyone with its taste.
My Aged Persian Pickled Garlic (Torshi Seer)
- 3-4 heads fresh garlic
- 1½ cups balsamic vinegar or as much as cover the garlic
- ½ cup pomegranate molasses
- ¼ cup tamrind
- 2-3 fresh springs herbs such as rosemary, thyme, dried rose petals
- 1 tsp salt
- Sterilized glass jar
- wash and dry garlic. Peel off surface skin of garlic.
- Add garlic, balsamic vinegar, pomegrante molasses, tamrind, and salt in a pot. Bring it to a boil. Then reduce the heatand let it cook for about 40 minutes or1 hour until garlic is slightly soft.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Let it cool down and then pour in sterlizedgl ass jar. Add fresh springs rosemarie or some dried rose petals.
- Cover it with a plastic and lid on jar. Store in a cool and darkplace for 430-40 days before serving. Serve this delicious pickle with any rice dish, meat patties, and stews. There are some home remedies to get rid of bad breath or bad smell of garlic, such as drink water/ milk, brush your teeth and top of surface of your tongue, or eat fresh fruits.