Gilan Province استان گیلان is in Northern part of Iran, lies along the Caspian Sea دریای مازندران. Gilan borders the Russia across the Caspian Sea. Gilan province is a beautiful green land with load of forests, also in tourism industry is one of the tourists attraction. Each city in Iran has kinds of local foods.
There is the diversity of food (170 recipes) in Gilan Province. One of local and famous dishes from this region, is Paneer Bereshteh پنیر برشته which is called: Paneer Wavij پنیر واویج in the local language.
Panir Breshte is made with eggs, dried dill leaves, garlic, turmeric and a kind of local cheese that is called: Siah-Mazgi سیاه مزگی. Eggs are a good source of high quality protein and that’s why this simple, inexpensive and quick recipe, would be a healthy meal that you can make it less than 10 minutes.
If you can not find the local cheese (Siah-Mazgi) , use Feta cheese instead. As I mentioned, this dish is called Paneer breshteh, which literally means crispy paneer/cheese but actually it is not crispy at all and on the contrary is soft scrambled eggs with Cheese. Paneer breshteh, can be served as a side dish or serve with steamed rice or bread as a light dinner or lunch.
Persian Scrambled eggs with Feta Cheese and Dill پنیر برشته
- 4 eggs
- 200 g local cheese or feta cheese, broken into small pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp dried dill leaves
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Break the cheese into small pieces and set it aside. Crack the eggs in abowl. Add dried dill leaves. Season with salt and whisk the eggsuntil mixed well and set it aside too.
- Melt some butter in a pan over medium-lowheat.Add turmeric powder and freshly ground pepper. Saute for a few seconds.
- Then, add grated garlic and fry it for a minute. Now, addpieces of cheese and fry 1-2 minutes.
- Now,add pieces of cheese and fry 1-2 minutes.
- Finally,add the mixture of beaten eggs into the pan and mix all ingredients. Keep stirring until the eggs are scrambled and set. Serve panir breshteh with rice or flat naan bread.