Fesenjan/Fesenjoon فسنجان/فسنجون is one of the most popular, expensive and sensational dishes in Iranian cuisine.
This luxurious dish, is one of the traditional Persian stews or khoreshخورشت. Fesenjaan فسنجان was a ceremonial dish in ancient Iran in the era of the Sassanian empire (224-651 AD) as new year meal.
It is basically made with duck, chicken, turkey, beef or lamb meat and Sometimes with meatballs, walnuts, and pomegranate paste or molasses and that’s why it is an expensive dish. Click here for Fesenjan recipe with chicken: https://rozinaspersiankitchen.com/2017/11/15/khoresht-e-fesenjan-pomegranate-stew-with-chicken-and-walnut-2/
In some areas, It has sweet taste and in other areas has sweet-sour taste. Fesenjan usually comes to Persian table on especial events/occasions and in cold weather that is actually pomegranate season.
The most important ingredients in this stew are pomegranate molasses or pomegranate paste رب انار and walnuts گردو , and these two ingredients make this stew exotic and impressive. Maybe you ask two questiones:
1- where you can find pomegranate molasses/paste: it is always available in Middle Easte stores, and might be available in your own local supermarkets too, as i bought from our local store . Stirring time to time. Fesenjan will thicken and darker as it cooks. .
2- other question, might be, why Fesenjan has a dark colour? as we use pomegranate molasses, Fesenjan will get darker and thicken as it cooks. Fesenjan like other Iranian stews is served with rice/pilaf.
Fesenjan with Meatballs
- 550 g minced meat
- 250 g walnuts, coarsely ground
- 1 cup pomegranate molasses/ paste
- 2 large onions, one finely chopped and grated other one
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- half of lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil or butter
- Ground walnuts
- Add minced meat, and grated onion into a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix all them well together and roll into balls and make meatballs (as big as a whole walnut). Refrigerate meatballs for 1 hour.
- After an hour, In a pot with 2 cups of boiled water, add meatballs, cook them and set aside.
- Keep the boiled water ( meat broth) for adding to stew in next step.
- Melt some butter in a pan. Add chopped onion and saute until soft.
- Then season with turmeric and cinnamon, season with pinch of salt.
- Add meatballs to the onion and fry them for 5-6 minutes.
- Then, add ground walnuts, meat broth , pomegranate molasses, 3tbsp of sugar and lemon juice.
- Gently stir all ingredients. Simmer the Fesenjan on a medium-low heat for about 45 minutes to 1hour. Stirring time to time. Fesenjan will thicken and darker as it cooks. .