Gaz گز or Iranian nougat is one of the favourite sweets in Iran. Gaz is originated in Isfahan اصفهان and Gaz dates backs to 450 years ago in Isfahan.
Isfahan اصفهان is located in centre of Iran . Isfahan or Hispahan/ Esfahan/ Sepahan is well known for it’s architecture, palaces, tiled mosques, covered bridges and grand boulevards.There is a proverb, it says: Isfahan nesf-e jahaan it means Esfahan is half of the world.
The Naghsh-e Jahann Square میدان نقش جهان in Esfahan is one of the largest city squares in the world and it has designated by UNESCO as one of World Heritage Sites.
What led me to talk about Esfahan, is my following recipe. It is called Gaz گز , classic Persian nougat. It is made of egg whites, sugar and nuts. Gaz (Persian nougat نوقای ایرانی) is speciality of Isfahan and this is the first thing you would buy from Isfahan as souvenir.ٍ So when people talk about Gaz, they refer as Gaz-e Esfahan گز اصفهان .
Gaz شیرینی گز
- 300 g sugar
- 100 g toasted pistachios (you can take any nuts you want but traditionally pistachios are used)
- 100 ml water
- 80 g honey
- 1 egg white
- I used a square shape cake tin. Line it with parchment paper and dustthe base with flour.
- Toast the pistachios in a dried pan for 3-4minutes and set aside to cool down.
- Take1tbsp of sugar and put remaining of sugar in a pot and mix it with 100ml water. Stir well. Heat the sugar mixture until starts to boil. Keepboiling until the sugar syrup reaches to 110C. At this temperature,add honey and stir the syrup
- Heat the sugar mixture until starts to boil. Keep boiling until the sugar syrup reaches to 110C. At this temperature,add honey and stir the syrup.
- When the suryp reaches to 130C. Put the egg white in a mixer bowl and whisk it on a low speed and add that 1tbs of sugar you saved eralier and keep whisking until you have a thick and meringue like egg white. While you are whisking the egg white,
- bring the sugar-honey syrup to boil until the syrup reaches to 135-137C.
- Now it is time pour carefully and slowly but steadily, hot sugar syrup in 3-4 steps over the egg white and keep whisking on high speed. Once all the syrup has been added, continue beating the mixture until it is firm and thick.
- Now,it is time to add nuts. Use a spatula and mix nuts with egg white mixture.
- Then, spread the mix, into the prepared square tin and press down the mixture
- and dust it with some flour. Leave the gaz (nougat) to set for 4-5 hours or overnight. Turn out and cut the Gaz into square orrectangle shapes.Store the gaz (nougat) in an airtight container in a cool and dark place for 1-2 months.