In Iranian cooking ‘ Kofteh کوفته’ or ‘ Kofta’ is a kind of pounded meat . The word kofteh کوفته (kofta) has it’s origin in Farsi language, and it means pounded meat in Persian language. Meat ball or Koftaکوفته is made from ground meat such as: mutton, beef, lamb or chicken, along with either fresh aromatic herbs or dried herbs, nuts, fruits and eggs.
In following recipe, with a combination of herbs, vegetables, gorgeous spices, dried herbs (to add extra flavour) and small amount of meat, you can create such a fantastic kofta kabab. My mother used to make it when she was busy and had not too much time, as it gets ready very quick. You can serve it with good flat naan bread, or sour dough bread or with rice. I promise if you try it, you would love this recipe.
Kofteh is usually shaped into round but sometimes kofteh is in cigar-shape or oval shape too. Kofteh , kupta, kofta, kufta …. are in different sizes from giant ones to medium and petit kofteh.
Kofteh Kabab کوفته کباب
- 150 g ground beef or lamb meat
- 3 large carrots, chppped into chunks
- 2 large potatoes, chopped into chunks
- 1 medium onion
- 1 egg
- Handful fresh parsley
- 2-3 slices of toast bread
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1½ tsp dried tarragon
- 1½ tsp dried chives
- 1¼ tsp cumin powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Butter and olive oil
- Roughly chop up the parsley and onion. Blend them until looks like pureed.
- Break slices of toast bread and add it to the mixture. Keep blending until all ingredients well combined. Season with salt- pepper and1tsp of cumin.
- Add dried herbs, egg, and meat. Use your hand and mixall ingredients together until well blended.
- Divide into seven pieces, then roll each piece into oval. In a pan, melt some butter (or add some olive oil). Place oval shaped meat in the pan. Cover the pan with a lid and cook the kofta kabab over mediumheat.
- Once one side fried and get brown, flip the koftas and let the other side cook as well until it is brown.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add some olive oil or butter and tomato paste. Fry the tomato paste for 1 minute, season with salt and ¼ tsp of cumin. Now,our tomato sauce is ready.
- Pour 2-3 cups of water into the tomatosauce. Add diced potatoes and carrots. Let’s cook until tender.
- At the end, add cooked kofta to the mixture of potatoes- carrots as you see in the photos. Let to cook for 10 minutes together until kofta kabab soak up the tomato sauce. Serve kofta kababs with rice or bread and your favourite sides.