Zoolbia زولبیا is a kind of deep fried pastry with crunchy- crispy texture and soaked in saffron-rose water and sugar syrup. It’s one of the traditional and popular dessert of Ramadan ماه مبارک رمضان for Iftar افطار ( breaking fasting time). Zoolbia is made with flour, plain yogurt, corn starch, and then diped in saffron-rose water sugar (honey) syrup. It has a chewy texture but crunchy-crispy and crystalized exterior. Zoolbia is served cold.
Zulbia is popular sweet in Iran, some African countries such as Algeria, Tunisia , Lybia, in Middle East countries and also in some of Asian countries. According to wikipedia, Zulbia recipe has been mentioned in an Iranian cooking book from 10th century in Iran. Zulbia is known by differrent names in different countries, such as: Zoolbiehزولبیه, Jalebi جلبی, Zelabiaزلابیا. There are different zoolbia recipes, in some of them there is not yogurt but using yogurt gives a nice crispy –glassy texture to the zulbia.
For making syrup for zoolbia زولبیا, we use rose water. If you have no access to Rose water گلاب or perhaps you do not like it, you can use orange blossom instead. For saffron-sugar syrup for Zoolbia click here:https://rozinaspersiankitchen.com/2020/05/16/saffron-sugar-syrup-recipe/
Zoolbia (Deep fried pastry)زولبیا
- A squeeze bottle or ketchup sauce bottle.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1½ cups lukewarm water
- 1 cup corn starch
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp steamed saffron: from 1/4 ground saffron dissolved in 1 tbsp of hot water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Place flour, corn starch and baking powder in a bowl and mix all together
- Then, add butter and yogurt to the mixture. Beat them until combined.
- Now, gradually add the lukewarm water and 1tbsp of steamed saffron.
- Keep stirring until the batter is smooth with the consistency of light cream. Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- After30 minutes, give a stir to the batter and then transfer the batter to a (squeeze bottle) or ketchup sauce bottle.Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer pan. To test the temperature ofoil, squeeze 2-3 drops of the batter into the oil. It has to come upimmediately. So, it shows, the oil is ready.
- Now,squeeze the bottle gently in continuous round motion to get aspiral.
- As soon as zoolbia is golden in one side (it takes about 1 minute),use a fork and flip it over to fry other side too.
- When zoolbia is done, and turns crisp, transfer it to warm syrup directly for 1 minute. Remove zoolbia from sugar syrup and transfer it to servin gplatter.