You can make this syrup from scratch and with just few ingredients at home. This is a simple saffron–sugar syrup that can lasts for a while in the fridge. This syrup شربت بار/شهد not only can be used for zoolbia زولبیا – bamieh بامیه and gosh-e feel گوشفیل deep fried pastries, but also is used in many cake and cocktail recipes too.
Saffron-Sugar Syrup Recipe شربت بار/ شهد
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup rose water
- 2 tbsp saffron water(steamed saffron): from ½ ground saffron dissolved in 2tbsp of hot water
- 1 tbsp liquid glucose
- 1 tsp ground cardamom(optional)
- ½ lemon juice or 2 slices of fresh lemon
- Add water to a pot and Place it on a medium heat. Bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and d add lemon juice and sugar and WITHOUT SWIRL, simmer until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is clear (it takes 7 minutes).
- Then, add rose water,ground cardamom (optional), steamed saffron and liquid glucose. Swirl to combine and simmer 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn off the heat, take out lemon slices and let the syrup cool to the room tempreature. The syrup, will be thicker when cooled and the consistency of the syrup would be like runny honey.
- You can keep the syrup in a glass with lid and refrigerate it.