Abdoogh khiar آبدوغ خیار is one of traditional Summer dishes. It is a kind a cold, refreshing and seasonal cucumber soup with yogurt. Imagine, coming back home from a hard day work in office or from school or university in a hot Summer day and treat yourself with an cold, aromatic and refreshing cucumber soup.
Abdoogh khiar literally means: water آب- yogurt ماست and cucumber خیار. It is a mixture of beautiful and aromatic dried herbs with fresh herbs, and using fresh herbs in this recipe is a MUST for the best flavour.
There is similar dish in different countries: in Armenia ارمنستان it is cucumber soup with yogurt and sprigs of dill, and is called Joojukh جوجوخ. In Albania آلبانی, Bulgaria بلغارستان and Macedonia مقدونیه it is called Tarator تاراتور and in Turkey ترکیه it is called Cacik کاچیک that is yogurt, garlic and cucumber cold soup.
Basically, Abdoogh khiar آبدوغ خیار is a combination of yogurt ماست, cucumber خیار, sweet raisins کشمش, crushed walnuts گردو, aromatic herbs and crunchy bread with yogurt. but area to other area, might be added or reduce some of ingredients. The base of this dish is yogurt and for the best texture and creamer soup, it is better to use Greek yogurt or mast-e chekideh ماست کیسه ای. The consistency of the abdoogh khiar should be like milk and not like sour cream, although yet, when you want to mix water with yogurt, you can adjust amount of water and prepare your desired consistency of abdoogh khiar.
It is so so easy recipe, no need to cook, just mix and dig in. this is a great time for cold soup. So, to beat the summer heat, try this Iranian cucumber soup (abdoogh khiar).
Iranian cold cucumber soup (Abdoogh Khiar)
- 500 ml cold water
- 300 g Greek yogurt
- 50 g cream
- 3 medium cucumber, cut into small pieces
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- ½ cup of fresh dill leaves
- ¼ cup of fresh mint or basil leaves
- ⅓ cup of fresh chives or green part of spring onions
- 4 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp dried rose petals
- 1 tsp dried mint or basil
- 1 tsp Summer savory, tarragon/ or oregano,
- 15 walnuts crushed into small pieces
- salt and peper to taste
- Lavash naan bread or tortillas bread, toasted
- break tortillas bread into small pieces and toast them in a a pan.
- Cut the cucumbers into small pieces (cubes). Wash fresh herbs and finely chop them. Put diced cucumbers and chopped herbs into a large bowl. Add grated garlic, raisins,dried herbs, crushed walnuts, and season with saltand pepper.
- In another bowl, add yogurt- cream and water.Whisk together until smooth and runny. Add it to the cucumber mixture and mix thoroughly. Put it in fridge to chill
- Garnish with dried rose petal, walnuts,raisins. .Traditionally, in serving time, ladle cucumbersoup (abdoogh khiar) in individual bowls, add pieces of toastedLavash or tortillas bread, stir and then DIG IN.