Persian (Iranian) rice gets steamed with the most scrumptious, crunchy and golden crust that is called ‘ tahdig ته دیگ’ meaning bottom of the pot in Farsi language.
Tahdig, is speciality of Iranian cuisine consisting of crispy, crunchy, golden browned layer of either rice – bread, potatoes or meat taken from the bottom of the pot , while the rice on the top steams. This pan fried layer of crust at the bottom of the rice pot (tahdig ته دیگ) has different types. The most common tah dig made with rice itself, or mixture of rice with yogurt and eggs or tahdig with flat naan breadنان , potatoes سیب زمینی, lettuce کاهو, or spaghetti ماکارونی.
Sometimes with adding spices like Saffron زعفران or turmeric زردچوبه you can add more colour and flavour to your rice tahdig. Do not get me wrong, all of these different types of tahdigs are so good, crispy and caramelized. For details about tahdig, click here: https://rozinaspersiankitchen.com/2017/12/31/tah-dig-%d8%aa%d9%87-%d8%af%db%8c%da%af/
Well I am so surprised to introduce another kind of tah dig, that I am sure many of you are not familiar with it.
When I was a child, my grandmother, used to make this tahdig time to time. It’s even muchhhhhhhhhh much tastier than tah dig with flat nan bread.
As you see in the following photos, this tahdig looks like a golden disk, with a slightly thick texture and just DELICIOUS.
The most important key for making a golden crispy crust (tahdig) is a great skill and also using extra oil in the bottom of the rice pot or pan which you use for preparing rice, by this method, tahdig will not burn.
So, ladies & Gentlemen, I am pleased to introduce tahdig with dough!!
ّFor making tahdig, we need to preparae steamed rice with Persian method. Please click on the link for how to instruction: https://rozinaspersiankitchen.com/2018/01/29/persian-steamed-rice-with-saffron-crust/
Tah dig with Dough
- 3 cups rice, washed and soaked in salted water for 1 hour before cooking therice
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- 2-3 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ⅓ tsp salt
- ⅓ tsp baking soda
- Mix sifted flour with salt.
- Add baking soda to yogurt and mix together.
- Then pour it in the flour. Add vegetable oil and mix all ingredients together and knead it until you have well combined and smooth dough. Cover the dough and Set aside
- Bring the rice to parboil step: Click on the above mentioned link for steamed rice.
- Place the dough on a working surface and roll it up with a rolling pin (as you see in the photos) and make a disc shape dough. Now, Adda generous amount of vegetable oil in the pot. Place the dough inside the pot. Do not worry if dough does not fit the pot/pan and comesup from the sides of the pan.
- Add parboiled rice and cover the pot with a lid. Place a heatdiffuser on the flame and then place the pot on it. Cook the riceover medium heat for about 25-30 minutes, until the rice is tender.Serve the rice in a platter and break the tah dig into small pieces or keep it in whole shape and serve it.