I love eggplants and we all know, there are so many recipes with eggplant that can convert any dish into a mouth-watering meal
Eggplant or aubergine is called Bademjan بادمجان in Farsi language. There are loads of recipes in Iranian cuisine with eggplant.
Today, I am going to make eggplant sandwiches / burritos with two different sauces: one with Greek yogurt and garlic and other one with hummus.
It is super easy recipe full of aroma and flavour.
- 1 large eggplant, washed and sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- small bunch of fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 small cloves of garlic, grated or 1tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs, including : mint, oregano, tarragon
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- ⅓ tsp fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil or any vegetable oil
- For eggplant burrito we need a beautiful herbal sauce: so in a bowl, add salt- pepper, fennel seeds, dried herbs and 2tbsp of olive oil.. mix together and Fry it in a pan for 2 minutes and until aromatic and set it aside. then, add plain yogurt with grated garlic in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, mix together and set it aside too.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté onion until soft and tender and remove from the pan to a plate.
- Then Fry sliced eggplants in the same pan, until golden brown on both sides and set aside.
- Now, for filling burritos,
- spread on, your desired amount of yogurt,-garlic in the centre tortilla wrap.
- Next, layer the basil leaves, then, top up with fried eggplants and sautéed onions,
- then add top up with prepared herbal sauce and slices of tomatoes
- and at the end some more yogurt garlic sauce again. Wrap the tortilla into a burrito shape and cut in the middle.
- For making sandwiches with French rolls: Split the French rolls.Spread on your desired amount of the hummus on the bread, and fill the rolls with fried eggplants, fresh basil leaves, fried onions,herbal sauce, and slices of tomatoes.