I have shared several recipes with eggplant. I love this vegetable in any type of dishes. Eggplant or aubergine is called Bademjan بادمجان in Farsi language. There are loads of recipes in Iranian cuisine with eggplant as main star of the dish.
So Today, I am going to make eggplant sandwiches with two different sauces one with Greek yogurt and other one with hummus. Obviously, for making sandwiches we would need bread, and you can use either French rolls or any kind of flat naan bread like Lavash naan نان لواش bread or (Tortilla bread). So, I think it is time to share this delicious eggplant sandwiches with options for how to customize your sandwiches from choosing your yogurt or hummus sauces to your favourite kind of bread.
It is super easy recipe full of aroma and flavour. Of course, you can use add any other ingredients that you like to the following ingredients in my recipe, but as this recipe is an approved by me, family members and friends, I keep making this sandwiches with the following ingredients.
- 1 large eggplant, washed and sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- small bunch of fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 small cloves of garlic, grated or 1tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp from each dried herb: mint, oregano, tarragon
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- ⅓ tsp fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil or any vegetable oil
- First we prepare the herbal sauce: in a bowl, stir in allspices, dried herbs and 2 tbsp olive oil. Fri it in a pan for 1 minute and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté onion until soft and tender.
- Fry sliced eggplants until golden brown on both sides and set aside.
- Now, it’s time for topping the bread. Spread on your desired amount of Greek yogurt, in the centre of the tortilla wrap.
- Next, layer the basil leaves, top up with fried eggplants and onions,
- then add some herbal sauce and top up with slices of tomatoes
- and at the end some more yogurt. Wrap the tortillainto a burito shape and cut in the middle.
- For making sandwiches with French rolls: Split the French rolls.Spread on your desired amount of the hummus on the bread, and fill the rolls with fried eggplants, fresh basil leaves, fried onions,herbal sauce, and slices of tomatoes.