My mother used to prepare her own home made fish seasoning mix ادویه ماهی. It is a very nice and delicious mixture of dried herbs, freshly ground and good quality spices to increase the flavour of fish and yet you do not need any fancy ingredients. I use same recipe and I am very happy with that. This mixture works with nearly all kind of fish.
Season the fish before cooking gives your fish meal a lift. So It does not matter you are going to grill the fish or fry it but seasoning is a MUST.
You can make your own blend of fish seasoning from scratch and with your favourite dried herbs such as celery, rosemary, chives, parsley, coriander,taragon, dill leaves, mint, oregano, thyme,…. and spices like black peppr, red pepper, paprika,, salt, dried lemon, garlic, onion, ginger, cinnamon, paprika and yet you can customize your fish seasoning.
Home-made fish seasoning
- 2 tbsp dried dill leaves
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried lemon zest, for a citrus touch
- 1½ tsp dried parsley leaves
- 1½ tsp coriander seeds powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- Add all ingredients in a bowl,
- and mix gently to combine. Keep it in an airtight glass jar in a dark and cool cupboard for about 6 months.
- Coat the fish with oil.
- Apply good amount of the blend onto the fish.
- Melt the butter in apan and fry the fish. This blend can be used as a marinade too. In a bowl with some of the mixutre, add oil and vinegar or lemon juice and whisk together. Then apply onto the fish.