Iranian crispy potato patties, which is called Kookoo sibzamini کوکو سیب زمینی in Farsi, is a classic dish. First of all, I should give a brief description about what is kookoo کوکو. In cookbooks from Safavid Dynasty امپراطوری صفوی (about 400 years ago), mention kookoo.
Kookoo/kuku کوکو is a popular Persian dish patty with eggs as main ingredient along with various ingredients such as: vegetables or meat. Kookoo can be vegetarian or non-vegetarian,. Kookoo is served either hot or cold with rice or with bread. Generally, it is perfect to serve almost with everything from roasted meat, chicken, fish to rice and bread.
There are different recipes for making kookoo کوکو . Two of more popular ones are: herb kookoo or kookoo sabzi کوکو سبزی and potato kookoo or kookoo sibzamini کوکو سیب زمینی. There are other kookoo recipes such as: eggplant kookoo, green beans kookoo, meat and spinach kookoo and…… Kookoo is a light meal, that can be served as a starer, side dish or a light supper.
One of the most popular sandwiches in sandwich shops in Iran, is potato patties sandwich or sandwich-e kookoo sibzamini in Ciabatta bread. For Ciabatta bread recipe Click here This sandwich was, is and will be forever favourite for every Iranian and specially for kids and school students. All of us have delicious memories from kookoo sibzamini sandwich.
You can make kookoo sibzamini with freshly boiled potatoes or with leftover mashed potatoes.
Kookoo sibzamini are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. kookoo sibzamini has a very easy recipe and does not take too much time to cook it. So, if you do not know what to do with mashed potatoes or boiled potatoes, I have a yummy solution for you. Cook kookoo sibzamini😎
Iranian Potato Patties Sandwich ساندویج کتلت سیب زمینی
- 430 g potatoes,boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1 large onion, finely grated and squeeze to drain the juice
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp Panko bread crumbs (crunchy bread crumbs)
- 1 tsp turmeric,you can add a little more too
- Salt and pepper to taste
- slices of tomatoes
- slices of pickled cucumber
- Vegetable oil
- Place potatoes in a pot. Add water to cover them. Cook until tender. Peel the potatoes and let to cool completely, as, cold potatoes reduces the percent of falling apart of your kookoo while cooking them. Then, mash cold potatoes with a masher.
- Grate the onion and drain the juice.
- Add spices, egg, bread crumbs and grated onion (onion juice also can cause kookoo to fall apart whilecooking),therefore, drain the juice
- and mix all ingredients together.
- Until we have a well combined paste like.
- Form patties in oval shape.. Heat the oil in a pan and fry for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden and crispy.
- Remove the patties from the panand drain on paper towel.
- Slice tomatoes and pickled cucumber.
- Now, for making our sandwich, cut the bread lengthwise, arrange slices of tomatoes and pickled cucumber over the bread and place 2 pieces of kookoo sibzamini (potato patties). Traditionally, no need to anysauce and it is just full of flavour and tasty but if you like, add ketchup, mayonnaise or mustard sauce