Northern part of Iran is called ‘Shomal شمال=North’ in Farsi language, and it is located near the Southern shores of the Caspian sea. It’s a beautiful green land, covered with Hyrcanian forests, famous Iranian rice and tea fields.
North of Iran is one of favourite destinations for summer time with amazing nature, clean weather far from air pollution and loads of beautiful villas for rent. People are so friendly and welcoming with tasty meals.
Gilan province استان گیلان in Northern part of Iran, lies along the Caspian Sea. Gilan borders the Russia across the Caspian Sea. Gilan province is a beautiful green land with load of forests, also in tourism industry is one of the tourists attraction. Each city in Iran has kinds of local foods.
Vavishka واویشکا or Bavishka باویشکا is one of the famous, local and traditional food from Gilan. Vavishka is a kind of simple stew. It is a super duper easy recipe to follow. It can be made with ground beef/lamb/chicken or liver, tomatoes, onions, and aromatic spices.
Oh I forgot to say, Vavishka literally means (fried). Vavishka is great over the rice or with flat naan bread or go with any. So if you are looking for a comfort and silky food, vavishka is one of them, try it.
- 400 g minced beef/lamb
- 4 large tomatoes, grated or pureed
- 3-4 medium potatoes, cut into cubes
- 2 eggs
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add diced onion and fry it until tender.
- Add spices: turmeric, paprika, pepper and fry them for 1-2 minutes until aroma of spices developed.
- Add grated garlic, and the minced beef in and fry until the meat browns.
- Next, add puréed tomatoes and tomato paste to the meat and season with salt
Give a good stir and
- then add ½ cup water. Simmer for 10-15 minutes on a low heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a separate pan. Add diced potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and fry them until crispy.
- Once vavishka got ready, we should add eggs. Crack eggs on the meat
- and gently break the eggs and sprinkle some salt. So, You do not need scramble the eggs, just chunks. put the lid on the pan and allow to cook the eggs for 2-3 minutes.
- That’s it and our vavishka is ready. Traditionally, vavishka is served with rice or flat naan bread (or go with any bread you love it).