Iranian ice cream is one of the delicious- exotic and luxurious ice creams in the world. Using marvellous ingredients such as Saffron the most expensive and king of spices in the world with it’s gorgeous golden yellow colour and beautiful flavour, rose water with mild floral aroma, and loads of crushed pistachios, create an irresistible delicacies dessert. Combination of saffron and rose water go amazing together. So, if you have never tried it, you are missing out.
This ice cream is addictive dessert, I am warning you.
Ice cream or gelato is called : Bastani بستنی in Farsi language. The history of ice cream in Iran began around 500BC in the Achaemenid Empire of Iran امپراطوری هخامنشیان with combination of ice with flavours such as honey or fruit juice to produce Summer time treats.
There are different kinds of ice cream in Iran, from fruity ice creams to chocolate ones, vanilla ice cream. Most famous and popular one, is Saffron-rose water ice cream, that is REAL DEAL.
When you are living abroad, sometimes it is difficult to find Saffron ice cream, and it is not bad, if you know how to make it.
This is an easy way or lets say a short cut to Iranian ice cream with using ready made vanilla ice cream and a few yummy tricks.
Traditional Iranian Saffron ice cream (Bastani Sonnati Irani )
- 2 litres Vanilla ice cream
- 150 ml double cream or heavy whipping cream
- 115 ml rose water (golab)
- 2 tbsp saffron water (add add 2-3 tbsp boiled water to a few saffron threads in a mug,and dissolve it in water
- Unsalted crushed pistachios, as mush as you like
- Wafer or ice cream cones
- Use a baking tray and line with parchment paper (Wax paper). Pour the cream on it and evenly spread it.
- Place it in the freezer and let it is freeze.
- Set ice cream out of freeze and allow to thaw in room temperature. Add 2tbsp steamed saffron, 115ml rose water and some of crushed pistachios to softened ice cream.
- Use a spoon and stir all ingredients completely. Next, chop up the frozen cream into small or medium pieces.
- Then, very fast (as frozen cream starts to melt very quick) add them to ice cream and give a good and quick stir to all ingredients.
- Sprinkle remaining of crushed pistachios top of the ice cream.
- Place the ice cream in the freezer and let it harden and freeze for 3-4 hours. Serve scoops in bowls or scoop into cones or wafers.