Tomato omelette or Omlet-e gojeh- farangi املت گوجه فرنگی as we say in Farsi, is one of the best egg recipes. I would say it is one of the most delicious and at the same time simplest omelette ever. It is a perfect choice for a lazy weekend breakfast or a light dinner. Persian tomato omelette is similar to Shakshuka شاکشوکا which is made of poached eggs, tomato sauce and spices like cumin, nutmeg, pepper. In Iranian version of toamto omelette, we do not use same spices.
The ingredients for making tomato omelette are very simple: eggs, tomatoes , tomato puree and spices. Tomato omelette is a popular egg dish in Iran and in many of traditional Teahouses, whic is called (Chai-Khaneh چایخانه ) in Farsi lanuguage, usually serves with flat naan bread and soft-fresh herbs (Sabzi khordan سبزی خوردن. ) such as raddish تربچه, spring onions پیازچه, chives تره, mint نعنا,…
Preparing this omelette is easy and result production is gorgeous and delicious.
Persian Tomato Omelette املت گوجه فرنگی
- 4 eggs
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp butter or vegetabl oil like: olive oil, sun flower oil
- Dice the tomatoes into small piece. Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. You know cooking with butter give extra flavour and taste to any food. But of course you can use vegetable oil too. I love olive oil but you can use sun flower oil, or for hazelnut oil, but you know butter is something else and is just perfect for our tomato omeltte. anyways, when butter melted, add diced tomatoes.
- Maybe you ask, can i use canned tomatoes, yes of course you can, but always fresh vegetable is more tastier than canned ones. So after adding tomatoes to the melted butter, Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and cook it for a good 5 minutes. Stirring time to time until tomatoes softened evenly and break down. Add tomato pure to fried tomatoes
- Mix together and cook for 2 minutes. Now we have a creamy tomato mixutre , like a sauce like a puree.
- Crack the eggs over tomato sauce.
- Gently stir until well combined. Season with more salt and pepper if required. Cover the pan with a lid and cook it until eggs are set. After eggs cooke, our tomato omelette is ready to eat. Serve it with good flat naan bread if you like or with Ciabatta bread, or sour dough bread and fresh sabzi (greens).