Tomato omelette or Omlet-e gojeh- farangi املت گوجه فرنگی as we say in Farsi, is one of the most delicious and at the same time simplest omelette ever. It is a perfect choice for a lazy weekend breakfast or a light dinner. Persian tomato omelette is similar to Shakshuka شاکشوکا which is made of poached eggs, tomato sauce and spices like cumin, nutmeg, pepper. In Iranian version of toamto omelette, we do not use same spices.
Tomato omelette is popular egg dish in Iran and in many of traditional Teahouses (Chai-Khaneh چایخانه ) usually serves with flat naan bread and soft-fresh herbs (Sabzi khordan سبزی خوردن. ) such as raddish, spring onions, chives, mint,…
Preparing this omelette is easy and result production is gorgeous and delicious.
Persian Tomato Omelette املت گوجه فرنگی
- 4 eggs
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato pure
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter and vegetable oil
- Chop the tomatoes into small piece. Melt some butter in a pan over medium heat. Add some vegetable oil too. Now, add the chopped tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stirring time to time until tomatoes softened and break down. Add tomato pure to fried tomatoes
- and cook for 2 minutes. Now we have a creamy like sauce.
- Crack eggs over tomato sauce.
- Gently stir until well combined. Season with more salt and pepper if desired and cook it until eggs are set.
Serve it with flat naan bread, and fresh sabzi (greens).