I do not know if you have heard about cooked rice with orange juice or not but I have heard and cooked . I promise it will be a big hit on your table. It has a wonderful flavour and everyone will keep saying how good it tastes.
It is just so good. A combination of rice with orange juice, barberries, saffron, producing a delicious fresh flavour and gorgeous rice.In my version of this rice, I added a hint of Iranian flavour to the rice. Did you ask what? Yes I added barberries which is called Zereshk زرشک in Farsi language.
In my version of this rice, I added a hint of Iranian flavour to the rice. Did you ask what for example? Well, I added barberries which is called Zereshk زرشک in Farsi language.
If you are not familiar with barberries you can use cranberries or currants instead.
All of us have tried or heard about rice with saffron- beetroot juice, turmeric, or chicken/beef stock
so if you are bored with plain rice why not to make rice with orange juice and change a plain rice into a yellowish bright colour and unique citrusy flavour.
You know, sometimes with adding very simple things to our recipes we can create delicious meals. ر
This gorgeous orang flavour rice goes well equally with any meat such as chicken, beef, lamb, salmon fish meat.
Orange Juice Rice
- 2 cups rice, rinsed
- 2 large orange juice and zest
- 2 tbsp
barberried, washed (if barberries is not available, use currants or cranberries instead)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Few threads of saffron
- Butter or vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Take oranges juice and set aside. Melt the butter or heat the oil in a saucepan. Add chopped onion and saute until soft and tender
- Add barberries (zereshk) and fry along with onion for 1-2 minutes, keep
- Rinse the rice 2-3 times with cold water and drain before cooking. Add 1 cup orange juice
- and 2 ½ cups of cold water, sauted onion and barberries, 3tbsp butter,
- and season with 1tsp salt, pepper, and saffron threads. and give a stir.
- Bring it to a boil over medium heat and give a stir.
- Next, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid and allow to cook the rice until all of the
water and juice has been absorbed and rice is cooked. Process of cooking will take about 30 minutes.
- As you see in the photos, I use heat diffuser when I cook the rice. Heat diffuser is a flat metal
stove top tool. It is very useful
- and can control the flame and distributes heat evenly and help to cook properly without burning the bottom of rice.
- Once our fluffy rice is done, remove it from the heat and let it to set for 5 minutes. Add
favourite cooked meat: chicken, beef/ lamb or Salmon fish with slices of raw onions to the rice and serve it.