Dill rice is one of traditional, delicious, flavoured and fragrant fluffy Persian rice dish. Dill is called Shivid شوید in Farsi, This aromatic herb has a lovely flavour and aroma.
There are different recipes for dill rice. Sometimes you can mix dill and Fava beans with rice and sometimes mix dill and potatoes with rice. All are aromatic, fluffy and gorgeous rice dish.
I would like to share Kermanshahi dill-potato rice dish, that is made with just a few ingredients and producing result is a piece of heaven on the plate. .
This dish is a local recipe from an ancient city Kermanshah کرمانشاه in the western part of Iran. Kermansha means: King of Kerman. This ancient city is one of cradles of prehistoric and historic cultures. Due to it’s ancient sites, landscapes and monuments It is paradise for archaeological researches and excavations and attractive place for tourists. I hope you try and enjoy it.
- 2 cups rice, washed and soaked in salted water
- 60 g dried dill leaves (Shivid khoshk)
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter or olive oil
- Rinse the rice 2-3 times with cold water and drain before cooking.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add chopped onion. Saute until soft and tender. Add diced potatoes and fry for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Next, add dried dill and season with salt- pepper and turmeric. Fry
for 2 minutes more.
- Add rice and 3 ½ cups water to potato mixture. Bring it to a boil over medium heat and stir the whole mixture.
- Then reduce the heat, cover the pot with a lid and allow to cook the rice over low heat
for 25-30 minutes.Once rice is done, remove from the heat, allow to sit for 5 minutes.
Transfer it to a platter and serve as it is or it is equally delicious with any cooked meat.Serve it with salad, pickles or yogurt and chopped cucumber mixture.