Pomegranate rice انار پلو is one of ceremonial meals and recipes for especial night in Iranian calendar which is called Yalda night.
Yalda ( on December 21) is one of traditional events in Iran which marks as longest and darkest night of the year. In other countries like: Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan are also celebrating Yalda night.
Every year, on December 21, Iranians around the world celebrate the arrival of winter, or the last evening of the Autumn season and first day of three months Winter. .The celebration of Yalda night is coming from the ancient time. Ancestors of Persians believed in this nigh the force of evil power was at the pick but next day after Yalda belonged to the Lord of Wisdom and is the victory of light over darkness .
Yalda night is one of the most ancient Persian festivals.
There are special recipes for this night such as following rice dish, anaar polo. There are different recipes like Shirazi anaar polo or Qazvini anaar polo. This meal is a combination of Rice with pomegranate, pistachio and raisins and fried meatballs. It is heavenly delicious, colourful and full of flavour meal. Believe me this dish is a MUST and you need to try 😊
Pomegranate Rice انار پلو
- 3 cups rice, washed and soaked in salted water for 1 hour
- 300 g ground beef,lamb or turkey
- 1 onion, grated
- 1½ cups pomegranted seeds
- ⅓ cup silvered pistachio
- ½ cup raisins, washed
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 1 tsp coiander seeds powder
- 1 tsp saffron water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Butter or olive oil
- In a bowl, add ground beef and grated onion. Season with salt and pepper. Combine it very well and shape as small meatballs. Fry them in a pan until golden brown, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add raisins and sauté for 2 minutes. Add silvered pistachio, chopped coriander, and pomegranate seed and stirring in for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Now, wash the rice. Soak rice with salt and water for 1 hour. Bring water to a boil, drain salty water of rice and pour the rice into the boiled water. Let it to cook for 10 minutes. Place a colander in the sink. Drain para cooked rice in the colander and rinse with tap cold
water. Pour some oil in the pot, place a sheet of Tortilla flat bread on the bottom of pot,
- Add a layer of rice top of the bread. Then sprinkle 2 scoop of sautéed pistachio mixture and
saffron water on the rice .Again repeat with other layer of rice and top it with pistachio mixture.
- Cover the pot with a lid and allow cooking over low heat for 30-35 minutes. Once rice is ready, serve it on a plate with fried meat balls and tahdig (crunchy bread from bottom of pot).