Honey –saffron caramel nuts that is called ‘ Sohun asali سوهان عسلی’ In Persian language, are speciality of beautiful Isfahan. Esfahan/Isfahan or Hispahan is an old and significant city in centre of Iran. Isfahan اصفهان is famous and well known for many reasons such as: historical architecture and palaces, tiled mosques, churches, covered bridges, minerals, Grand bazaar, artefacts, monuments, and food.
These nut caramels are made with saffron- honey, sugar, rose water , dried rose petals and nuts such as walnuts, almonds, pistachios, and pecans. You can find an example of Persian saffron here.
These candies has a rich caramel colour and is heavenly tasty, and crunchy .
Persian Honey-Saffron Walnuts Brittle سوهان عسلی گردویی
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- 125 g white sugar
- 3 tbsp crushed pistachios
- 40 g honey
- 2 ½ tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp steamed saffron threads
- 1 tbsp rose water
- Cover a tray with a parchment paper and set aside.Add sugar, honey, butter and rose water to a pan and melt butter over medium heat.
- Stirring until to dissolve sugar. Now, stop stirring and bring it to a boil. (it will take about 5-8 minutes).
- Then, reduce the heat and add in crushed walnuts into honey mixture. Keep stirring until walnuts are coated with syrup and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the sugar mixture
thickens and turn into golden caramel colour.
- Now, add in saffron water and stir until incorporated.
- Immediately, remove from the heat and carefully pour the walnuts mixture onto the prepared parchment paper and spread out as thin as possible.
- Sprinkle crushed pistachios on the top . Allow candy to cool.
- Remove it from the tray and break it into small pieces. You can store them in an airtight container at room temperature.Bone appetite