Traditionally this rice dish is called tahchin or upside down rice also known as Persian baked rice cake. Tahchin is an Iranian divine rice dish with beautiful presentation. It’s made of layered meat and rice. It may not look like much from the outside but the combination of cooked meat, yogurt, egg and aromatic spices with rice create a crunchy outer crust and soft inside rice. We Iranians love our tahchin.
There are different versions of tahchin made with red meat, chicken, and vegetables. My today’s tahchin is made with combination of dill or (shevid شوید in Persian) and broad beans or (Baghali باقالی in Persian) with chicken . Yogurt is one of ingredients for this meal. I have made my own Greek yogurt with traditional method. Click here to see the method.
Persian Dill & Broad Beans Rice Cake
- 3 cups rice, washed and soaked in salted water
- 400 g Chicken fillet, or breast, diced and cooked
- 2 cups broad beans/ Fava beans, cooked
- 1 cup dried dill,
- 500 g Greek yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp steamed persain saffron
- 1 tbsp dried rose petals
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 ts[ cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Yogurt is important ingredient in making Tahchin. We need a sort of thick yogurt, therefore, I have used a traditional way that my mother used to apply and make a thick creamy yogurt by Pouring regular yogurt into a double layer of cheesecloth or kitchen cloth. Tied up the cloth.. Hang it over a bowl and leave to drain overnight. As you will see in the following photos).. You would see the liquid left in the bowl. Resulting is a thick yogurt.
- Wash the rice. Soak it in the salted water for 1 hour.Meanwhile,fry the onion until slightly soft. Add diced chicken meat.
- Stir in salt- pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, dried rose petal, dried dill and Fava beans ( just keep 1 tbsp of fava bean for later) for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, In a bowl, mix yogurt with eggs, 2tbsp of Persian saffron water, pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk it until combine well and set aside.
- Pour water in a large pot and bring it to a boil. Drain salted water of rice and add the rice to the boiling water. Cook for 10 minutes. Using a colander and drain the rice.Add half of the drained rice and half of the chicken mixture into the yogurt mixture bowl and gently blend
- Pour some oil into a non stick pot or pan, spread 1 tbsp of plain fava bean on the bottom of the pot.
- Spread rice mixture into the pot (as you see in the photos) and flatten with wooden spoon or spatula.
- Then, layer second half of the chicken mixture around the edges of the surface. Finally, layer with second half of the white rice and cover the entire surface. Flatten the top with the back of a large spatula or spoon while pressing down( as you see in the photo). Pour 1 tbsp of saffron water over the rice.
- Place the pot on medium heat for 5 minutes. Then lower the heat cover the pot with a lid and cook it for 45-60 minutes until the crust forms.
- Once rice is done, let it cool for few minutes. Place a serving platter on top of the pot and gently turn the pot over, Voala you have a wonderful rice cake shape dish. Sooooooooo delish.To serve this dish let it cool for a few minutes, this way the crust comes off easier. Place a round serving platter that is larger than the diameter of the pot. Hold firmly while wearing mittens, you don't want to burn your fingers! Then gently turn the pot over. Garnish as