Shami شامی is a kind of Persian meat patty. . For making shami, you have choice of different meat (beef – lamb- veal). Shami is made of yellow split peas (Lapeh لپه ) with ground beef/lamb and spices . Shami, might be served cold or warm with flat naan bread or steamed rice. Both are equally yummy.
Rozinaspersiankitchen is a member of the Amazon Affiliates Programme and earns a small commission on sales which helps to keep the site running.
Meat patties with Yellow Split Peas
- 400 g ground beef/lamb½
- 1 cup Yesllow split peas, cooked
- 1 medium onion, grated and squeezed to juice out
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- Bread crumbs or flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grate onion and squeeze it to get rid of onion juice and Set it aside.
- Cook yellow split peas until tender and soft. Mash it properly. Set it aside.
- Place grated onion in a bowl, add in meat, spices, egg and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix them until well combined.
- Add mashed yellow peas and mix all ingredient well.
- Refrigerate the meat mixture and let to set for an hour.
- Take a portion of mixture in your palm and form ring or flat shape.
- After shaping cutlets, coat them with flour or bread crumbs. Heat the oil , In a frying pan over medium heat. place shami in the pan and Fry each side for about 7-8 minutes. Then, flip over and let the other side cook too. Serve it with salad or pickle.Enjoy ( Nosh-e jan)