For all dolmeh/dolma دلمه lovers or stuffed dishe lovers, this is an excellent and comfy main meal.
Dolmeh/dolma دلمه is a kind of stuffed dish. The word dolma is a Turkish word and it means to fill. Dolmeh is a popular dish in Iran, Arabic countries, Turkey, Azerbaijan and East Europe. In Iran there are variety of Dolmeh recipes. According to Wikipedia in the 19th century Naser Aldin Shah Qajar’s chef ناصرالدین شاه قاجار records varieties of dolmeh such as: stuffed cabbage leaves, eggplant, quinces, and grape leaves.
Stuffed onions/ دلمه پیاز/ سوگان دلماسی is another kind of dolmeh/dolma. The filling for dolma might be minced meat,vegetables, herbs and legumes and sometiems meatless.
These stuffed onions are delicious choice for vegetarians. If you would like to give more attraction to your food table, make these stuffed onions. Earlier I have shared my another stuffed onions, click here to get the recipe.
Making stuffed vegetables is not difficult at all, only you need to be patient. In Farsi language stuffed means dolma/dolmeh دلمه and onion mean piazپیاز.
Stuffed White Onions
- 1 cup freshly cooked rice, or leftover rice
- 3 large onions
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, grated
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel large onions. Cut ends..Make a cut down on one side. Cutting should be from top to bottom. Be careful, do not cut all the way through.
- Cook them in Boiling water for 10-15 minutes. Then, remove from the pot and allow to cool the onions.
- Then separate layers one by one and set aside (as you see in the photos).
- For preparing the filling:Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry one chopped onion until tender. Add cooked rice, grated tomatoes, 2tbsp tomato paste, 1 of vegetable stock, dried thyme, smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper.
Gently mix all ingredients together and cook for 5 minutes and then remove from the heat and add chopped parsley too and mix together. Ok, our filling is ready.
- Now, Place 1-2 tablespoon of the rice mixture in each layer of onion and wrap it. It is very easy and quick.
- Arrange stuffed onions in the pan. A
- Add second vegetable stock cube, 2tbsp olive oil and 1tbsp tomato paste to 1 ½ cups of boiling water.Dissolve the vegetable stock and pour it all over the arranged
stuffed onions in the pan.
- Bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat and allow to cook for 25-30 minutes.