Fresh or dried fruits are popular ingrediets in Iranian cuisine. Prune is called ‘Aloo آلو’ in Farsi. The following recipe is a simple dish with few ingredients but so delicious. An easy, mouthwatering and comfort chicken stew with juicy Prunes, caramelized onions and Persian saffron, create a perfect savoury meal. This dish has unique taste and it serves warm but you can refrigerate it in a container for 3-4 days.
This dish in popular in Ardebil اردبیل an ancient and beautiful city on neighbouring Caspian sea. Ardebil is known for it’s trade in honey, carpet and amazing landscapes. Twenty four sites in Iran are inscribed on the list of the World Heritage sites (UNESCO). One of them is located in Ardebil.
Ardebili Chicken Stew with prunes خورش آلو مسمای اردبیلی
- 4 pieces of chicken breast or thighs
- 5-6 pitted prunes for per person
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tsp steamed saffron
- ½ tsp turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop one of onions and garlic cloves. Put the chicken breast or thighs with chopped onion and garlic cloves in a large pot. Add 700ml water and ½tsp salt. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes. Drain, and reserving the cooking liquid.In next step, thinly slice two other onions. Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium low heat. Add onions, Season with turmeric and pepper. Sauté the onions about 8-10 minutes, until onions softened.
- Then add prunes and fry for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Now, add generous amount of olive oil in a pan and fry half cooked chickens until browned.
- Dissolve chicken stock cubes in the remaining of the chicken cooking liquid. Then, add fried chicken meat to the prunes and onions. Add steamed saffron. Season with salt and pepper,
- Add steamed saffron. Season with salt and pepper,
- Cover the pot with a lid and simmer for about 25-30 minutes. Serve it with saffron rice.