This is Azerbaijani chicken omelette with rice, which is called Chighirtma pila چیغرتما پلو. Chigirtma is a mixture of eggs with chicken and caramelized onions. Chighirtma means screaming in Azerbaijani language. And do You know why this dish calls chighirtam? Because of the hissing or screaming sound of the meat while is frying in the hot oil.
Chigirtma has different versions such as chicken chigirtma, spinach chigirtma, eggplant chigirtma.
Chicken chigirtma might be served with rice plov that is called chigirtma plov or might be served with flat naan bread bread.
Chicken Omelette Pilaf
- 7 pieces of chicken breast or thighs, cooked
- 3 large onions
- 1 lemon juice
- 100 g melted butter or Ghee
- 1 tbsp steamed saffron
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt some butter in the pan. Place pieces of cooked chicken into the pan. Season with salt and pepper and fry cooked chicken on both sides until golden brown.
- Slice onions into thin half rings. Melt the butter/ghee in a pan. Add sliced onions and fry it until soft and slightly golden, set aside.
- Now, mix fried onion with the chicken.
- Squeeze lemon juice all over the ingredients and add saffron water. Cover the pan ad allow to simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs, season with salt and pepper and pour over the chicken. Cover the pan and cook until the eggs have set.
- Serve delicious chicken chigirtma with rice/plov or wrap tortilla bread around the chicken and eggs.Enjoy= nush ulson نوش جان=Bon appetit / نوش اولسون