Today I am going to introduce one of Iranian rice dishes. Iranian cuisine has dozens of types of pilaf/ پلو / pliov/polo. In Iranian cuisine, rice should never be sticky. Pilaf is usually served by it’s own or along with stew.The following recipe is called Shirin polow/sweet rice شیرین پلو which it comes from Azerbaijani cuisine.
In this dish, we use dried fruits such as dates, apricots and raisins. It has a gorgeous mild sweet savoury taste and however it is sweet but is not a dessert and consider as main course.
Sweet rice ( shirin polow) is served on its own or served with beef or lamb and tahdig ته دیگ -گازماق/crispy crust from bottom of the pot It is a simple dish but at the same time like a gem is stunning. You would just surprise with this fruity rice.
Rice with Dried Fruits (Shirin Polo شیرین پلو آذربایجانی )
- 200 g rice
- 30 g golden raisins
- 30 g dried apricot , cut into half
- 10-15 dates with stones removed and cut into half
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp steamed saffron
- salt to taste
- Butter or vegetable oil
- Tortilla bread for tahdig
- Put a few threads of saffron in a bowl and add 4 Tbsp boiling water,cover the bowl and let to infuse.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add dried fruits and cinnamon powder to the
butter and saute for 3-4 minutes until soft. Set aside.
- Wash the rice 2-3 times. Soak in the water with 1 tbsp salt for 1 hour.
- In a pot with water, bring to the boil. Drain the salty water of the rice and add the rice to the boiling water. Cook it for 7-8 minutes and then strain the rice using a colander.
- Cook it for 7-8 minutes and then strain the rice using a colander.
- Pour some oil in the same pot, place Lavash or tortilla bread in the
bottom of pot.
- Pour half of the par cooked rice on the bread and then pour over some of saffron water and fried fruits.
- Repeat the process and then cover the pot with a lid.
- leave it to cook over high heat for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat medium- low and let to cook for 20-25 minutes.