Today I am going to introduce one of Iranian rice dishes. Iranian cuisine has dozens of types of rice/ pilaf/ پلو / pliov/polo dishes. In Iranian cuisine, rice is not sticky like Japanese style. Pilaf is usually served by it’s own or along with stew.The following recipe is called Shirin polow/sweet rice شیرین پلو which it comes from Azerbaijani part of Iran.
In this dish, we use dried fruits such as dates, apricots and raisins. It has a gorgeous mild sweet savoury taste and however it is sweet but is not a dessert and consider as main course.
Shirin polow شیرین پلو literally means sweet rice. Shirin polow, is served on its own or served with beef or lamb and tahdig ته دیگ -گازماق/crispy crust from bottom of the pot It is a simple dish but at the same time like a gem is stunning. You would just surprise with this fruity rice.
Rice with Dried Fruits /Shirin Polo شیرین پلو اردبیلی
- 200 g rice
- 30 g golden raisins
- 30 g dried apricot , cut into half
- 10-15 dates with stones removed and cut into half
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp steamed saffron
- salt to taste
- Butter or vegetable oil
- Tortilla bread for tahdig
- Put a few threads of saffron in a bowl and add 4 Tbsp boiling water,cover the bowl and let to infuse.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add dried fruits and cinnamon powder to the
butter and saute for 3-4 minutes until soft. Set aside.
- Wash the rice 2-3 times. Soak in the water with 1 tbsp salt for 1 hour.
- In a pot with water, bring to the boil. Drain the salty water of the rice and add the rice to the boiling water. Cook it for 7-8 minutes and then strain the rice using a colander.
- Cook it for 7-8 minutes and then strain the rice using a colander.
- Pour some oil in the same pot, place Lavash or tortilla bread in the
bottom of pot.
- Pour half of the par cooked rice on the bread and then pour over some of saffron water and fried fruits.
- Repeat the process and then cover the pot with a lid.
- leave it to cook over high heat for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat medium- low and let to cook for 20-25 minutes.