You can call it Iranian rosewater muffins (cup cakes) or rose water and cardamom muffins but we call it Cake Yazdi کیک یزدی, that is truly a delightful dessert.
These muffins called ‘ cake Yazdi کیک یزدی’ that takes its name after the Yazd an ancient city in central Iran. To Iranians cake Yazdi is what Madeleine cake is to the French.
Cake Yazdi کیک یزدی has Persian flavour of rose water گلاب and cardamom هل. One of ingredients in cake Yazdi is plain yogurt. It does not matter it is full fat or less fat. Juts the Yogurt should be in room temperature and thick with no moist. One more note: if you would like to add rose water to this cake, you need to add 1 tbsp more flour to 300g flour in the ingredients, if you skip the rose water, simply use 300g flour.
Yazd is an ancient and famous city in Iran and is recognised as a world Heritage site by UNESCO. Yazd is well known for its history, sweets and traditional architectural element which is called Wind catcher بادگیر and since ancient time up to now is used.
Yazd is also well known for having its Zoroastrian ancient fire temple, Qanat قنات (under ground water channels to transport water from water well to surface for irrigation and drinking), Yakhchal یخچال ( yakh meaning ice and chaal meaning pit) is an ancient type of evaporative cooler, it used to create ice in the winter and store it in the summer time..
If you are Iranian and miss real taste of Cake Yazdi, this is the very right recipe for this delicious cake.
Cake Yazdiکیک یزدی (Iranian Muffins)
- 300 g all purpose flour + 1tbsp flour
- 200 g white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150 g Greek yogurt
- 175 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp rose water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Some Pistachio or sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180C degree.In a large mixing bowl beat eggs and sugar for 3-4 minutes, until thick and white. Then add oil and keep mixing. Next, add plain yogurt and honey to the mixture and combine together.
- Finally, add flour, rose water, baking powder, cardamom and salt. Keep mixing for 1-2 minutes until all ingredients combine well.
- Scoop into the baking cups until 2/3 full. For making crack on pick of the muffin, dip a knife in vegetable oil and make a + shape on the muffin
(as you see in the photo).
- Bakeries in Yazd, not only bake this cake in muffin shape but also they bake
it in a large baking tray and after baking, cake cuts into lozenge/diamond shape.
- Place the baking tray in the preheated oven and allow to bake for 20-25 minutes and until golden brown.Once muffins/cake is ready, brush with honey
- and garnish with chopped pistachio or sesame seeds… ..