Tas kebab تاس کباب is a traditional and old fashioned Persian beef/lamb and vegetables stew. Traditionally it’s made with lamb but you can make it with beef, or veal too. In some different versions you may add eggplants , prunes or quince too.
Using of fresh vegetables and spices turns this stew into an aromatic hearty meat and vegetables stew.
Tas kebab is a hearty – comfort and tasty stew with aromatic spices and fresh vegetables like carrots, potatoes, onions, ….which is enjoyed in Iran, Greece, Turkey and the Republic of Azerbaijan.
You can make this stew anytime of year but most of the time it comes on our table for grey and cold days of Fall and Winter seasons.
Traditionally the meat should be cut into chunks. The sauce of tas kebab is reddish due to tomato paste. You can serve it either with rice or flat bread.
Tas kebab تاس کباب (Persian Meat & Vegetables Stew)
- 300 g
diced beef or lamb meat
- 50 g beef dripping or tail fat
- 150 g green beans, cut into small pieces
- 200 potatoes, peeled and cut into half
- 1 large bell pepper, cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into rings
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut into round shape
- 6-7 cherry tomatoes
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp steamed saffron (optional)
- 2 ½ cups boiled water
- In a pot add diced meat, one finely chopped onion and enough water. Let to cook until tender.
- Once meat is done, transfer cooked meat and beef dripping to a pan, drizzle some oil, season with spices: turmeric, pepper, paprika, chilli flakes and salt. Fry the meat and beef dripping or tail fat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop your potatoes, onion, carrot and bell pepper on chopping board. Cut off tops and tails of fresh green beans. You can leave whole beans or cut them into small pieces.
- Add olive oil to the pan and fry chopped vegetables but tomatoes in the pan for 15 minutes. Frying of vegetables specially bell pepper, develops very beautiful aroma in the kitchen.Now
for making sauce we need to mix 2 ½ cups hot water with salt- saffron water (steamed saffron), tomato paste and beef stock cubes and set aside.
- Transfer fried veggies and meat into a big pot, . Pour the prepared sauce over all the ingredients in the pot. Bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 40-50 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes in last 15 minutes and keep cooking.Nosh-e jan