Lentils or as we call it in Farsi (Adas عدس) is main ingredient for making lentils rice, a fragrant and hearty rice dish. You can make lentils rice with green/brown lentils. Lentils rice or adas polow might be garnished with caramelized onion/raisins/dates. In this case It can be a tasty vegan option. Sometimes adas polow topping with minced beef (qheema) too.
Earlier I shared another recipe for lentils rice. The difference between following lentils rice with my earlier lentils rice is cooking the rice with liquid leftover of cooked lentils . It is amazing stock for adding to soup, or to stew and rice. You can transfer the lentils leftover liquid to an airtight container and keep it in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Lentils Rice with Caramelized Raisins (Adas Polow)
- 3 cups rice
- 1 ½ cups lentils
- 2 large onions
- 1 cup raisins
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Wash the rice with cold water. Soak in water with 1 tbsp of salt for an hour before cooking.
- Rinse the lentils with cold water and remove any dust. Place lentils in a large pot, because lentils after cooking will double in size. Use 3 cups of water for 1 cup of lentils, add some salt.
Bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook lentils until are soft. Save the liquid left from cooking lentils.The important key in this lentils rice, is adding tasty liquid leftover of cooked lentils for cooking rice. This liquid give an earthy, savoury and delicious flavour to the rice.
- Cut one onion lengthwise and finely dice other one onion. Heat the oil in a pan. Add diced onion and saute in oil until tender and soft. Remove it from the pan.
- Heat some oil in the same pan. Add other chopped onion and fry until golden brown. Add raisins to the fried onion and while stirring, cook it for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Add raisins to the fried onion and while stirring, cook it for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Next, drain salted water of rice. Add the rice, leftover liquid of cooked lentil, fried finely diced onion, cooked lentils and oil to a pot. Season with salt.
- Bring the rice to a boil and then reduce the heat. Cover the pot with a lid and let lentils rice cook and water completely evaporated ( it will take about 25-30 minutes).