Turshi ghorma ترشی قورمه, is one of the traditional stews from Ardebil اردبیل an ancient and beautiful city on neighbouring Caspian sea. Ardebil is known for it’s natural honey, carpet and amazing landscapes. Twenty four sites in Iran are inscribed on the list of the World Heritage sites ( by UNESCO) and One of them is located in Ardebil.
Black eyed beans stew is called Turshi Ghormeh ترشی قورمه in local language.
Turshi ghormeh ترشی قورمه is a pleasant combination of meat with prunes, black eyed beans, onion, spices like saffron, turmeric and cinnamon. The key point in making this stew is using lots of caramelised onions that should be very finely sliced.
Black Eyed Beans Stew (Turshi Ghorma)
- 3-4 pieces of chicken breast/thighs
- 2 large onions, finely lengthwise sliced
- 1 cup black eyed beans, cooked
- 10 dried prunes
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp lemon juice or Verjuice (unripe grapes)
- 2 tbsp Saffron Water
- Salt – pepper to taste
- Cook black eyed beans in advance. Heat the oil in a pan and fry onions until golden brown. then remove fried onions from the pan
- Now, we add chicken meat to the same pan and fry them until golden. Then, add ground turmeric, and cinnamon to the meat and, season with salt and pepper. give a quick stir. Next, add cooked beans, prunes, fried onions, saffron water, lemon juice and 2 cups of water to the chicken.
- Cover the pot with a lid, and Let it simmer until meat is cooked and tender. Serve this delicious black eyed beans stew with steamed pilaf or rice. Enjoy it or as we say in Farsi nosh-e jan