Turshi ghorma, is one of traditional Azerbaijani stew from Ardebil اردبیل an ancient and beautiful city on neighbouring Caspian sea. Ardebil is known for it’s trade in honey, carpet and amazing landscapes. Twenty four sites in Iran are inscribed on the list of the Worlds Heritage sites (UNESCO). One of them is located in Ardebil.
Turshi ghormeh is a pleasant combination of meat with prunes, black eyed beans, onion and …..the key point in making this stew is using lots of caramelised onions that should be very finely sliced.
Black Eyed Beans Stew (Turshi Ghorma)
- 3-4 pieces of chicken breast/thighs
- 2 large onions, finely lengthwise sliced
- 1 cup black eyed beans, cooked
- 10 dried prunes
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp lemon juice or Verjuice (unripe grapes)
- 2 tbsp Saffron Water
- Salt – pepper to taste
- Cook black eyed beans in advance. Heat the oil in a pan and fry onions until golden brown.
- Saute chicken meat, add turmeric, cinnamon, season with salt and pepper.Then add cooked
beans, prunes, fried onions, saffron water, lemon or Verjuice and at the end, 2 cups of water to the chicken.
- Let to simmer until meat is cooked and tender. Serve it with rice.