what a beautiful fruit pomegranate is. Everything in this fruit is perfect. Pomegranate is a round fruit, it has a red colour, thick and inedible leathery skin, with hundreds of those red juicy seeds looks like precious gem stone, ruby.
The Pomegranate or as it is called in Farsi ‘Anaar انار ’ & and in Azerbaijani language ‘ Naar نار ‘ is originated from Iran.
In Iran there are a variety of pomegranate in towns and villages. For instance, Pomegranate from Saveh ساوه a city in SW of Tehran, is sweet with a thin skin and long lasting. Pomegranates from city of Qom قم have large seeds with a sour taste or pomegranate from Khorasanخراسان, have white seeds and very sweet but sweet pomegranate from Yazad in Centre of Iran with white and pink seeds are sweeter than Khorasan ones. some pomegranates have black seeds with a short life with lots of benefits for treatment of disease and many of us even have not heard about this kind of pomegranate.
The pomegranate has loads of benefits, It is full of goods, vitamins and mineral sources also a good source of antioxidant.
Pomegranate in different cultures is symbol of life, rebirth, soul’s immortality, prosperity, fertility and marriage.
Iran is one of the largest producer of pomegranate in the world. There is annual pomegranate festival after harvesting pomegranate in villages and cities of Iran.
In Iranian cuisine, beautiful pomegranate use in different ways: such as using it’s peel for making natural colour, using it’s seeds in stews, rice dishes, soups, salads, omelette, also it’s juice, and molasses. Pomegranate as an element in art works, also has influence on Architecture and plaster decoration from more than 2500 years ago until modern days in Iran.
As i mentioned above, there are lots of food recipes made with pomegranate. Pomegranate omelette املت انار is one of those omelettes that might be not well known . This omelette is popular in Gilan and Mazandaran provinces in South coast of Caspian Sea , and made with fried onions and garlic, and it is called: Morghane Anaar مرغانه انار while among Azerbaijani people in Iran, make it with a little difference.
Iranian Pomegranate Omelette
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter or olive oil
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion. Fry
onion until golden and crunchy..
- Add pomegranate seeds. Season with pepper. Give a stir and let to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Next, remove onion-pomegranate seeds mixture from the pot to a plate. Crack two eggs in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and whisk the eggs with a fork. In a frying pan, melt some butter. Add beaten eggs and cook until they are set.
- Then, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
- Crack 2 another eggs top of the pomegranate seeds and cook eggs to your preferred consistency. Either soft or hard and serve it with flat bread or with rice.