In Iran we use bulgur for making soup/َaash or other dishes. In Lebanan and Turkey bulgur is used a lot. I am going to introduce a traditional and popular Turkish recipe. it’s called bulgur rice/pilaf. Bulgur is full of nutritional benefits. It’s easy to make with economical and low price ingredients for creating a delicious taste and tender texture. it is mixture of bulgur with vegetables, and dried herbs.
There are different additions to the ingredients such as dried mint, basil, oregano, thyme, Canned or fresh tomatoes, canned or freshly cooked chickpeas.
In serving time you might Topping bulgur rice with yogurt or feta cheese, it is all up to you and your choice. You can serve it as it is or with chicken, red meat or fish. You can serve it warm or cold. And actually leftover can be kept and served as a tasty salad. You can serve it as a main course or side dish.
- 2 cups wheat bulgur
- 6 cups water or chicken or vegetable stocks
- 400 g canned chickpeas
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 3 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato pure
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 tsp red pepper pure
- salt and pepper to taste
- place butter and oil in a pan. Add chopped onion. Sauté for few minutes until soft on a low heat..
- Then we add tomato pure, grated garlic and red pepper pure. Gently mix together and let to cook for 2-3 minutes.If you know what a lovely aroma developed in the kicthen right now. So good.
- Now, add bulgur, spices and dried herbs, grated carrot, chickpeas and water or chicken stocks to the pan. Mix ingredients and bring allow to cook for about 10 minutes on high heat.
- Once the bulgur absorbs the water, place a lid on the pan, turn the heat to medium to low and allow to simmer the bulgur rice for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve it with pickles or chopped fresh, or yogurt.