If you are an eggplant lover, I would like to introduce one of Iranian main dishes made with aubergine/eggplant , rice, minced meat and aromatic spices. This Beautiful and aromatic meal is one of traditional and local rice dishes in Qazvin قزوین an ancient city in Iran. Click here for a step by step video.
- 300 g Basmati rice
- 200 g ground meat (beef or lamb)
- 2 large eggplants, peeled, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped into small pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped into cubes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried rose petal
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ⅓ tsp ground clove
- Salt- pepper to taste
- Wash the rice two-three times until become clear. Mix 1 tbsp salt to water and add washed rice to salted water. Let it soak for 1 hour before cooking. Heat the oil in a pan, add chopped eggplants and fry until they are soft. Set aside.
- In another pan, add chopped onion and garlic. Fry for 10 minutes. Add,
all spices and salt to sautéed onion and garlic.
- Continue frying for 1 minute until the aroma of spices develops. Then, add ground meat .
Allow to fry until meat turns into brown.
- Then, add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and fried eggplants to rest of ingredients in the pan. Mix all together and let it to cook for about 5 minutes and Set aside.
- Mix all together and let it to cook for about 5 minutes and Set aside.
- Bring the water to a boil in the pot, drain salted water of rice and add it to the boiled water. Let it to cook for 10 minutes over medium heat. Then, drain par boiled rice in a colander, and rinse the rice under running cold water.
- Pour 3 tbsp vegetable oil in the pot. Add 2 ladles of rice to the pot, top it with a good layer of eggplant mixture, then top it other layer of rice and other layer of eggplant….Repeat the process until all ingredients are used. Cover the pot with a lid and let to cook over medium to low heat (25-30 minutes). Serve this aromatic and gorgeous rice with salad or pickles.