When we hear the term sun-dried tomatoes, we think of Italian tomatoes dried under a Mediterranean sun. But I think it is just a term for this tasty product even if we dry it in the oven. I have tried store bought sun dried tomatoes but believe me they are not as tasty as home made ones. Home made dried tomatoes are full of flavour and taste.
It is difficult to make sun dried tomatoes at home because :
1- some of us have not enough sunny days
2- or we do not have access s to outdoor spaces like a balcony or a roof.
But we can use oven to dry them. For making dried tomatoes we need ripe tomatoes but not over ripe. From 2 kg of tomatoes we can get about 200g dried tomatoes.
Homemade Oven Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Cloves of garlic
- preheat the oven to 175 C degree. Line the baking tray with parchment paper or spray it with vegetable oil and set aside.Wash the tomatoes under cool water. Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- Place tomato inside the baking tray and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Place the tray inside the oven. Let them dry and take leathery texture. Depending
on size of tomatoes and oven it can take from 6 to 8 hours or so. Time to time keep your eye on it to prevented from burning.
- Once they are done, remove from the oven and let them cool.How to use sun dried tomatoes:– You can eat dried tomatoes right now and use it in your favourite recipes such as soup,
stew, pasta, salad, pizza– You can store them dry in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 5-6 months– Or make sun dried tomatoes in olive oil and flavouring with herbs such as oregano,
rosemary, garlic and spices.
- For making sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, slice 2-3 cloves of garlic and place at the
bottom of jar, add some oregano or any herb you like, layer it with several dried tomatoes. Repeat the process and finally fill the jar with extra virgin olive oil and store it for 1 week in order to infuse the flavours together.