Baklava/baklawa/باقلوا is heavenly delicious and sweet dessert from Middle East. It is rich and sweet. If you promise yourself, ok I will just have a small portion baklava but believe me, after eating that small portion you can not help yourself and want more 😃😃
you can be addicted to baklava. I am also a baklava lover and in my previous posts, I have shared different baklava recipes such as: News paper shape baklava, raisins pistachio baklava, baklava rolls, Tahini baklava, nuts baklava.
In my country Iran (Persia) baklava is cooked since ancient time and cities such as Kashan, Tabriz, Qazvin, and Yazd are famous for their baklava.. Iranian baklava is dried, spiced with cardamom and rose water syrup and uses chopped almond-pistachios mixture. Iranian baklava baked in diamond-shaped with nut stuffing . In the North of Iran in the Gilan province, they cover almonds with jasmine flower petals for few days, and the almonds absorb the aroma of the Jasmine. Then almonds are blended and mixed with sugar and added to the baklava. This is called Jasmine baklava and is very aromatic .
For sweetness of baklava uses honey syrup and in some other versions uses sugar and orange blossom
baklava dough is filled with chopped nuts like: walnuts, pecans, cashews, almond, pistachios individually or mixture of chopped nuts but generally any nuts would work.
Baklava gently spiced with ground cinnamon, cardamom or cloves.
In my previous posts, I have shared different versions of baklava such as News paper shape baklava, raisins pistachio baklava, baklava rolls, Tahini baklava, nuts baklava, which you can find all recipe details here in my web site.
- 4 cups white sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 lemon/lime juice
- Ingredients for Baklava
- 500 g phylo pastry
- 500 g kadayif noodles
- 200 g unsalted butter, melted
- 200 g nuts such as: walnuts,
pecans,almond, pistachio or hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 C=392 F.First is first: we start with making syrup for our baklava. In a pot with sugar, stir in water and lemon juice and slices of lemon itself. Bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let to cook for 15 minutes and set it aside.
- In a bowl add chopped nut/s along with ground cinnamon and stir to combine.
- In another pot add the butter with ¼ cup oil and let it melt to use brushing phylo
dough. You can find phylo dough in freezer section of your supermarket. Few hours before use, place phylo dough out of the freezer to defrost.
- Unroll the phylo dough. Cover the phylo with a damp towel, to keep the dough from
drying out and will keep moisten the sheets.
- Lay phylo sheet on a dry surface and brush generously with melted butter.
- Place second phylo sheet over the first one and brush with melted butter.
- Take handful amount of kadayif noodles and while you sprinkle kadayif on phylo break them into small pieces.
- Now sprinkle some of nuts mixture on top and roll it.
- Repeat the phylo sheets until all ingredients are used.
- Once they are rolled brush with melted butter and cut each phylo roll into small pieces. Place them in a baking tray or plate. Pour remaining of butter top of cut phylo pieces.
- and cut each phylo roll into small pieces.
- Place them in a baking tray or plate. Pour remaining of butter top of cut phylo pieces.
- Place the baking tray in lower wrack of the oven. It will cause top and bottom of baklava become golden and crispy. Bake the baklava in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden . When the baklava is golden and crisp, remove it from the oven and immediately spoon syrup over it.
- Sprinkle some chopped nuts or ground coconuts over the baklava. Let it cool completely before serving.
- Note: in my oven it took about 30 minutes but ovens are different and sometimes it takes 40-50 minutes. So it is better after 25 minutes keep eyes on it and once you realised they are golden, it is time to remove from the oven.If you wish to have a soft baklava it better to use immediately cold syrup over hot baklava BUT if you prefer crunchy baklava, allow a little cool down baklava and then spoon
cold syrup over it. all recipe details in my web site.