I do not think you can find someone dislike any kind of pasta foods. In Iran we use noodles for making soup/Aash (a kind of thick soup) or mixing with rice and create such a tasty rice-noodle meal. In small towns and villages still some families make their own home made pasta and their noodles (رشته ) or pasta taste amazing. It’s not comparable with what you get from stores in big cities with less taste. Especially some of home made noodles are smoked and Oh My Gosh, they are just a piece of heaven on your plate. I know we can buy noodles from store but it’s fun to make your own noodles and enjoy the result of your hard hand work.
Anytime I was seeing someone making home made pasta noodle with machine, I did enjoy to watch it. But I was thinking it should be difficult to make noodles at home and plus I do not have noodle maker machine.
But later on I learned how to make pasta noodles with hand and without machine. It takes a little time but not tooooooooo long, and it is so fun and easy. The final result is admirable and amazing to know how easy is to make fresh pasta without pasta maker or machine and I was proud of myself for making such a delicious and beautiful noodles. La lalalala (I was really singing when I saw I can make these lovely noodles). You can store the noodles in the fridge for good 2 days and you can also freeze the cut noodles.
You would need a good rolling pin and a good patience 🤦♂️
My following recipe is so very much straightforward, and I do not see to give a list of tips. With this recipe your pasta will not be sticky. My only tips would be having a good rolling pin and a good patience , that’s it 👌👌
How to make noodles from scratch
- 250 g all purpose flour ,in USA it is called: strong flour for bread, in UK it is called: all purpose flour)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 chicken breast, cut thinly
- ½ cup diced
- ½ bell pepper, cut thinly
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- small bunches of spring onions and coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil/ sesame oil
- In a bowl add flour and salt. Give a mix. Then add eggs and water to the flour. Use a fork and stir it.
- Then start to kneading with your hand. At the first it looks dry and messy dough but while you are kneading the dough it turns into a smooth dough.
- Just should be patient and knead the dough until stick together (it will take 4-5 minutes).
- Now cover it and let to sit for an hour.
- After 1 hour you can see the dough is softer.
- But still needs to a little bit more kneading (5-6 minutes). So simply fold it several time. By this technique you push the air out of the dough.
- Cut the dough into 2 pieces.
- On a floured surface put the dough .
- Use a rolling pin and roll out dough until it is thin.
- (This step takes a little muscle and of course patience).
- And then you have such a beautiful flatten dough.
- Sprinkle some flour on both sides of the dough evenly. This prevents the
noodles from sticking together.
- Now, fold the dough like as you see in the photos.
- Use a sharp knife or cutter to cut the dough like as you see in the photos. You can cut thin or wide individual noodles, lasagne pasta or tiny square shape pasta.
- Do not push down with the hand you are holding the dough, other wise noodle will stick together.
- Once noodles are done, you can add your favourite ingredients to the noodles. I show two ways that I prepare my noodles:
- Bring salted water to a boil. Add noodles in boiling water and let to cook for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes you can try one noodle and if you think it is cooked enough for you, take them out and put in a bowl.
- Add Soy sauce, grated ginger, garlic, chopped spring onions, coriander,
paprika, pepper and some oil (like olive oil or sesame oil). Mix all together and voila it is ready. Soooooooooo tasty
- In second way, fry chopped chicken, season with chilli flakes and paprika. Then add chopped mushroom, bell pepper and spring onion. Add some soy sauce and noodles. Mix together and serve it.
Once noodles are done. If you want to save it, sprinkle some flour on noodles and store them in the fridge for 2 days. Or if you made a big batch of noodles, freeze them for the time you need it.