It is very quick and easy recipe to prepare an authentic Azerbaijani qeema/Keema.
In Iran we have variety of qeema with diced or minced meat along with combination of other ingredients.
This Azerbaijani qeema, is dry with no juice and still is so delicious and I am sure it will become a regular dish at your home especially when you know , you can make it in less than 30 minutes.
This qeema uses simple ingredients and spices such as turmeric, saffron, and …. which is basically mixed together and Azerbaijanis cook it for New Year Eve.
Azerbaijani Minced Meat Qeema
- 400 g minced meat, beef or lamb
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 4 tbsd barberries (Zereshk), washed
- 3 tbsp yellow split peas, cooked
- 1 tbsp steamed saffron (saffron water)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon juice
- Salt – pepper to taste
- Heat oil on medium heat then add in onion and saute onion until tender. Stirring frequently.
- Then add ground meat, turmeric, ground cinnamon, season with salt and pepper. Fry meat until colour changes to brown. Reduce heat to low.
- Now add washed barberries (Zershk زرشک ) and lemon juice. Gently mix together.
- Stir in pre cooked yellow split peas and saffron water..
- Cover the pan with a lid an allow to cook over low heat for 10 minutes Serve it with steamed rice/pilaf or make naan wraps out of it.