Kelane is a traditional Kurdish stuffed fried flat bread. A very delicious thin bread. This bread is made in different countries such as Iran, Turkey, Afghanestn, Republic Azerbaijan. and referred to by different names. For example in Iran it’s called ‘ Kelane کلانه ‘ in Afghanestan is called ‘ Bolani بولانی ‘ .
I have made and shared several different flat naan breads and also stuffed flat breads. These Naan breads are incredibly tasty and I can not help myself with making new recipe with different stuffing. If you enter words such as ‘ naan bread’, ‘naan’ , ‘flat bread’ in search box on my web site, you will get lots of different and delicious bread.
Stuffed Flat Naan Bread (Bolani)
- 450 g plain flour
- 200 ml cold water + 3 tbsp water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 potatoes, cooked, peeled and mashed
- ⅓ bell pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped and sauteed
- 150 g feta cheese
- ⅓ tsp garlic powder
- 1 small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- 2-3 spring onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp dried mint
- Olive oil or vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix flour with salt. Pour water into the bowl. Use your hand and combine flour with water. If it was hard batter add 3 tbsp more water.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes until you have a smooth and nice dough. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare stuffing ingredients. I have made two different stuffing one is potato mixture: in a bowl, mix mashed potatoes, sauted onion, chopped bell pepper, garlic powder, and season with salt and pepper.
- For other stuffing in a bowl, mix chopped coriander+ parsley, spring onion, garlic, with feta cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- After 30 minutes, cut the dough into equal 14 pieces.
- Take one of dough and place it on a floured surface. With a rolling pin, roll the dough and flattened dough as much as possible until you make a thin flatten dough.
- Spread 1 spoon of potato or herbs mixture on one half of the dough and make a thin layer. Fold dough over to enclose filling. Pressing edges together to seal. Repeat with remaining of the dough and mashed potatoes or herb- feta cheese mixture.
- Fold dough over to enclose filling. Pressing edges together to seal. Repeat with remaining of the dough and mashed potatoes or herb- feta cheese mixture.
- Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Place one of flat bread in the pan. Cook and pressing with a spatula to flatten . Cook for 3 minutes each side.
- Cook and pressing with a spatula to flatten . Cook for 3 minutes each side.
Once it is cooked transfer to a baking tray and place it in oven to keep warm. Repeat with
remaining of the prepared dough. They are so yummy and soft flat bread. You can serve it immediately or store them in the fridge and heat it up in oven when you want to eat