Leche frita means fried milk a delicious Spanish dessert which is made of milk. Can you believe fried milk?? !!!! Since I have learned to make this dessert it is one of our favourites.
Leche frita is a typical dessert in North of Spain. Basically it is made with milk and corn flour/flour until to get firm batter and in next step fried and coated with sugar-cinnamon .
- 1 Litre milk
- 100 g white sugar
- 80 g corn flour or rice flour
- 1 lemon or orange skin
- 1 stick cinnamon
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup white sugar
- From 1 L. milk , keep 200 ml milk for latter. Now add remaining of milk that is 800 ml milk, in a pan. Separate lemon rind from a lemon. The rind should be thin otherwise the white membrane will give bitterness to our dessert.
- Add lemon rind and cinnamon stick to the milk. Place the pot over a medium heat. Let to cook until to get a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix 200 ml milk with corn flour and combine
- Then add sugar and whisk it, set aside.
- Once milk started to boil, remove lemon rind and cinnamon stick.
- Add cornflour mixture to boiled milk.
- Bring it to a boil over medium heat and keep stirring, otherwise, milk mixture will burn and will stick to bottom of pan. Now you will see milk start to thicken.
- Remove it from the heat and transfer it to a plate. Allow to cool down and then place it in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Meanwhile mix ¼ white sugar with 1 tsp ground cinnamon and set aside.
- After 3 hours or once milk mixture solid, round the knife on the sides of the plate and milk mixture will come out easily.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Cut it into small cubes/squares.
- Coat each piece of milk square with flour and dip it into beaten egg
- Fry them in the pan over medium heat until all sides are golden.
Drain on paper towels.
- Coat each piece with sugar-cinnamon mixture
and serve them.
Actually it is very similar to Persian Rice pudding which is made by cooking and boiling milk and rice flour until it thickens and served with cinnamon, honey or rose petal jam. Taste is exactly like leche frita with some differences.