This beautiful and aromatic meal is popular in Qazvin, one of Iranian cities. It is rich, colourful, tender and tasty.
- 300 g rice
- 2 eggplants, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled off papery skin and slice it
- 1 onion, peel and chop into small pieces
- 4 medium tomatoes, chop into cubes
- 3 tbsp. Tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. of mixed spices ( includes: cinnamon, rose petals, turmeric, black pepper, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, cumin and clove powder ), In Farsi this mixed spices is called ‘ Adveyeh poloei’ OR spices for rice.
- Salt and olive oil
Wash the rice and soak it in a salty water for an hour before cooking
Heat the oil in a pan, add chopped eggplants and fry until they are soft. Set aside.
In another pan, add chopped onion and garlic. Stir for 10 minutes. Add, all spices, and salt to sautéed onion and garlic. Continue frying for 1 minute. Then, add ground beef. Allow to fry until meat turns into brown.
Then, add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and fried eggplants to rest of ingredients in the pan. Mix all together and let it to cook for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Bring to boil water in a pot, drain salty water of rice and add it to the boiled water. Let it to cook for 10 minutes over medium heat. Then, drain boiled rice in a colander, and rinse the rice with cold tap water.
Transfer 2 ladders of rice to the pot, top it with a good layer of eggplant mixture, then top it other layer of rice and other layer of eggplant….
Cover the pot with a lid and cook until rice well cooked ( 20-30 minutes).
Serve it this aromatic and gorgeous rice with salad.